Schönfeld Castle is considered the best preserved Renaissance castle in the Dresden region. Since its construction in the 16th century, it has not undergone any major structural changes. The predecessor of today's castle was a medieval moated castle, which was built when the village of Schönfeld was founded in the 11th century. The castle developed into the Schönfeld manor. In 1543 the castle was acquired by the court architect Hans von Dehn-Rothfelser and converted into a Renaissance castle.
The castle, which is located directly next to the church, is surrounded on three sides by a moat and the castle pond. In the former living rooms on the upper floors, numerous wooden beamed ceilings painted with coats of arms and tendrils have been preserved from the time of origin. Other rooms were partly given stucco ceilings in the 18th century. Remains of wall paintings from the late Renaissance were also uncovered.
Today the castle houses two exhibitions. One is devoted to the history of the castle, the other to the art of magic.
Today the castle is used for various cultural events, often for magic shows.