It was in 1935 that the Book Museum first opened in the Japanisches Palais (Japanese Palace), where the Saxon State Library was located at the time. After the building was destroyed in 1945, the library moved to a former barracks in Albertstadt, a district of Dresden. A new book museum was established there in 1952 and remained within that framework until 2002. In 2003, the Saxon State, National and University Library of Dresden (SLUB) moved into its new facilities in Zellescher Weg, which also provides space for Book Museum presentations of different sizes. Alongside the most famous exhibit of all – the thirteenth-century Dresden Maya manuscript –, the museum’s changing shows feature manuscripts, early printed books, valuable book covers, music autographs, maps and more.