The old "Peter-Pauls-Kirche" is not only Coswig's oldest surviving building, but also a late-Gothic building witness from the pre-Reformation period of the church as a whole. The altar of the Fourteen Holy Helpers in particular bears witness to this. Since 1539, Protestant services have been celebrated in the "Old Church", which was named after the two "princes of the apostles" Peter and Paul. The first major conversion took place in 1611/12. The nave ceiling was raised, the coffered ceiling redesigned and the church tower with its volute gables typical of the Renaissance was created. To this day, a commemorative plaque above the south entrance commemorates this conversion.
Due to the increase in the population of the village of Coswig, the church became cramped. The galleries were therefore lengthened around 1740 in order to have more seats available. The church had already received a new organ beforehand, the origin of which is still unclear to this day. Towards the end of the 19th century the church finally became too small.
When the Neo-Renaissance new building of the successor church was inaugurated in 1903 and the now "old" church was desecrated, its name was transferred to the "new church". As a result, the old church fell into oblivion and would probably have been demolished if the "Royal Saxon Monuments Association" had not been able to prevent this. The cemetery surrounding it has not been used since the end of the First World War and soon the old church was surrounded by trees and bushes like a Sleeping Beauty castle
Various videos on the homepage of the community (The church in Coswig introduces itself (kirchspiel-cwn.de) show, for example, the Gothic carved altar from 1497 with painted and carved figures, the gallery design or the tower clock and the technology on which it is based