Euroregion Elbe/Labe

Court Mill – Museum of Local History

For over six hundred years life at the northern entrance to the famous Plauen Valley was dominated by the presence of mills. In 1568 the Saxon royal house bought the land and built a court mill which it operated for more than three hundred years. In 1872 the court mill was bought by the commoner and entrepreneur Gottlieb Bienert (1813–94). He built up a large industrial concern, the influence of which decisively shaped the urban development of Plauen up to the mid-20th century. One of the former mill buildings has been made into a museum. This historically important building, which still has some surviving machinery, also houses permanent exhibitions relating to prominent local figures: “Palucca – A Life in Suitcases”, and the “Anton Reiche Museum” – a display of over 1,500 chocolate moulds made by the Dresden inventor and entrepreneur of that name. All this is complemented by visiting exhibitions and other events.

Address

Altplauen 21
01187 Dresden

Contact

Tel: +49 351 / 4 10 17 03

emailEmail

open_in_newWebsite

Opening hours

Tue 4 to 6 pm, every 2nd and 4th Sunday of the month 2 to 6 pm

Prices

Adults €3.00, school pupils and university students €2.00, children 6 to 12 years of age free of charge, family ticket €6.00, introductory lecture (min. 10 persons) add. €1.50 pp

Offers

lectures