The Reichstädt manor was already mentioned in 1535 and changed hands several times over the next two centuries. Since 1717 it was owned by the von Schönberg family. In 1945 they were expropriated and the estate was used in the GDR as a school, kindergarten, day nursery, cultural centre and district pioneer house. After 1989, the castle first had cultural functions and was still inhabited by a few tenants, but then stood empty for a long time. In 1998 it was finally purchased by Dr. Ilse v. Schönberg, a relative of the last owner. Since then it has been under renovation and is used as a hotel and for events and celebrations.
The lady of the castle offers weekly guided tours of the building.