Where the church of Schellerhau stands today, a small wooden church was consecrated in 1561. The baptismal font, the crucifix next to the pulpit and the small bell, which was donated to the poor congregation by the Elector, are still from this church.
In 1593 the wooden church was replaced by the present stone church. The church tower was added in the 18th century. In 1681, the interior of the church was painted at the behest of Carl Rudolf von Carlowitz, Saxon Chief Forester and Game Master. In the process, the chief forester had himself immortalized pictorially and literally at the pulpit entrance. The paintings were intended as a "poor man's bible" - and earned Schellerhau the reputation of having one of the most beautiful rural churches in Saxony.
Today's Schellerhau church is equipped with an organ made by the Schuster company from Zittau. As a reminiscence of mining, there are two 55 cm tall miner's candlesticks on the altar. They are cast entirely from Altenberg pewter. In 2010, the church's belfry was renovated and the bells were put back into operation.
The church Schellerhau can also be viewed on Youtube: