The Rumburker Loretto Chapel is a baroque jewel. The Loretto Chapel was created due to the wish of Prince Anton Florian of Liechtenstein to build a copy of the "Holy House of Loreto" (which, according to the story, Mary, Joseph and Jesus, in Nazareth lived in) in Rumburg. The Prince, who bought the dominion of Rumburg in 1681, had the chapel built in the years 1704-1707 according to the plans of the Viennese architect Johann Lucas von Hildebrandt.
This area, consisting of the former Capuchin convent with cloister, Holy Staircase, Loreto Chapel and the monastery church of St. Lawrence, has been renovated and restored in recent years. It represents a textbook of architecture. We find here art of the 17th and 18th century. The Loreto Chapel is a quiet island of peace, where time runs according to its own rules. Until 1950 Loreto Chapel was a part of the Capuchin Church of St. Lawrence, today it is administered by the Roman Catholic Parish of Rumburk.
The Loreto Chapel in Rumburk with its stucco and sculptural decorations belongs to the highest quality of its kind in the Czech Republic. The sculptures of the Sybils and prophets are works of art by the Liechtenstein court sculptor Franz Biener, who also created the statues on the balustrade in front of the entrance. Apart from the actual "Holy House", the object of veneration is a copy of the Black Madonna of Loreto (1694). The cloister was built in 1743-1755 and the Holy Staircase (Scala Sancta) in 1767-1770. It symbolizes the stairs of the house of Pontius Pilate. Since its construction there have been no more structural changes. Characteristic are the rich paintings on ceilings and walls. Unique is the extensive set of polychrome wooden statues from the 18th century, which impressively show the process from the condemnation, the suffering and the crucifixion of Jesus on the Holy Staircase.
The area can be visited individually, at your own pace. In the cloister there are permanent exhibitions on the history of the Loretto Chapel and the Capuchin Monastery, as well as an exhibition with photos and plans of the underground parts of the Loretto area. In the entrance building you will find a German-Czech exhibition about ecclesiastical art in the Schluckenauer Zipfel. Visitors have two options: they can either take part in a guided tour or find peace and quiet in this area.
Holy masses and devotions are regularly held here in the cloister and on the Holy Staircase.