Euroregion Elbe/Labe

Pretzschendorf church

One of the largest rural churches in Saxony with Jehmlich organ

The church is an important central building in the form of an elongated octagon and served as a model for the village church of Lohmen in the district of Saxon Switzerland as well as the present-day highway church of Uhyst am Taucher in the district of Bautzen. It was built in 1732/1733 according to the design of Johann Christian Simon (1687-1760) from Dresden. The exterior is accentuated by a mighty square tower with octagonal bell storey and Welsch dome on the north side, marked with the year 1734. A sacristy is added on the south side, and front staircases on the east and west sides. Long, round-arched window tracks in the nave brighten the interior.

The interior is very bright and generously designed as a transverse church, in accordance with Protestant requirements for a church room with a central pulpit altar and the organ above it, as well as pews grouped around this center. The room is characterized by the surrounding three-story gallery fixtures on the east, north and west walls. On the south side, above the altar, is the organ loft, with two confessionals below. Opposite the altar, on the north side there are two patronage boxes in the middle of the first gallery, created for the lords of Ober- and Niederpretzschendorf.

The main piece of the furnishings is a portico pulpit altar from 1737, and the sandstone baptismal font with a wooden lid is dated 1747. A larger-than-life, late Gothic crucifix dates from the end of the 15th century. A baroque epitaph commemorates Hanns Georg von Kannewurff († 1706). On either side of the altar are two stained glass windows designed by Ludwig Otto of Dresden, dated 1915, depicting Christ's birth and resurrection. A very richly ornamented ceremonial chalice dates from around 1400.

The organ is a 1906 work by Jehmlich with 29 stops on two manuals and pedal in a Baroque case by Albert Prockhardt from 1735.

Source: Wikipedia

Address

Zur Kirche 3
01774 Klingenberg

Contact

Tel: +49 035058 41486

emailEmail

open_in_newWebsite

Offers

Guided tour of the church (by appointment)

Arrival

From the bus stop "Pretzschendorf Mitte" directions_railway directions_bus it is a 400 m walk to the church.

Parking is not possible directly at the church. Parking is available about 300 m away at the Platz der Jugend.

ProCache: v401 Render date: 2024-05-27 05:27:07 Page render time: 1.8766s Total w/ProCache: 1.8833s